Analytic Tools Webinars
SEER*Stat for Global Cancer Registry Data
SEER*Stat is a powerful statistical application that is available free of charge from the US National Cancer Institute and provides a mechanism for the analysis of population-based cancer registry data. It has modules for the analysis and reporting of the four most common cancer-related metrics: incidence, survival, prevalence, and mortality.
SEER*Prep is a software that converts text data files to the format required by SEER*Stat. The objective of these series of webinars is to facilitate the use of SEER*Stat software for data that are not in accordance with the NAACCR format. Specifically, we will make use of a more generic, simplified format that complies with data usually available from cancer registries across the world, thus facilitating the use of SEER*prep and SEER*Stat. New variables in this global format include CI5 groupings and Essential TNM. These features will facilitate analysis and reporting of population-based cancer data in a standard format.
In these series of webinars, participants will be guided on a step-by-step fashion in the process of how to use SEER*Prep to generate a SEER*Stat database for analysis of incidence (webinar 1) and mortality (webinar 2) data, using the new global format. The demonstration will be done using real data. Future webinars will focus on how to use SEER*Stat more in-depth (dates TBD).
By the end of each of the first 2 webinars participants should be able to:
- Define a Directory to save user-defined data, reports and database description files
- Understand each variable in SEER*Prep’s database description file
- Make use of user-defined variables
- Convert text data into fixed length format using FixLen
- Generate a SEER*Stat database using SEER*Prep
- Check and, if necessary, correct any variable in the original file using the report generated by SEER*Prep
- Configure file locations in SEER*Stat
- Generate frequencies and rates (age-specific, crude, age-standardized) in SEER*Stat
- Generate standard reports (e.g., CI5 format)
- Create and edit variables using the dictionary in SEER*Stat